Wednesday, November 28, 2012

you know it's a good day when you make a kid cry.


His name is Nigel and he deserved it. I took his jump rope from him, because we weren't playing jump rope... We were learning the days of the week. Pulling out your jump rope in class is basically telling me that that is more fun than my lesson, and we know that can't be true. I took the jump rope from him and when I dismissed them from class and didn't give it back (only because I was going to give it to his mother and tell her he can't be playing with his toys in class) he had a full blown melt down! Kids are so irrational, I'm so glad I'm not one anymore.

I teach five classes a day. All classes are 50 minutes. They vary from kids to adults, and many different levels. They are assigned a specific book, but the books are usually pretty useless. For example, my last class of the day was an adult woman at level 3. The school offers levels 2 to 6 for adults (don't ask me if they're at level 1?) The books have 30 or so topics within them. Each class is a specific topic, and they are in no particular order. Sometimes the topic is interesting and can lead to a rousing discussion or debate. Some times the topics are shit and provide no direction whatsoever. The topic tonight with Mona was "Press Conference." It provided a few interview questions and pictures of famous celebrities: J-Lo, Michael Jackson, Jackie Chan, The President, Angelina Jolie. So, more often than not I have to think of something for us to do for 50 minutes. Just like a Ben Affleck movie sometimes things go great, sometimes not so much.... Chinese (especially women) are so reserved. It is not in their nature to express any opinion or feeling. This is not the greatest quality when engaging in a free topic discussion. Sometimes I struggle to think of things to talk about. I know! Me, not knowing what to talk about!? Mona and I ended up talking about celebrity gossip, tabloids, and scandals... the important things. Don't worry, I filled her in on the Brad Pitt-Angelina Jolie scandal as well as Lindsey Lohan's downfall.

One of my earlier classes today was with four 6 year olds. The class is called "free topic." If you can't figure out what I have to do, you are no longer invited to read this blog. The kids are great and it's a fun class, especially because they are getting to know me. When I walked into the class they yelled my name and gave me hugs. I will expect this from everyone I know from now on. Honestly, there is no better feeling. And hugs from these darling Chinese kids... They made my week.

I have a student named Happy. When learning English they all just pick any name. Some of them are so random. I'm tempted to pick an new English name while I'm here just for kicks. Anyways, Happy is 13 and seems as if she is miserable. She must have the meanest parents or irritable bowel syndrome. Maybe they chose the name Happy as encouragement.

The other day in one of my adult classes we were discussing homes. Appliances, furniture, different rooms.... it was a hoot!! I was teling the two students that in the US (and any other place worth living) we not only have a clothing washer, but a dryer as well. In China, nobody has a dryer. My student then told me that she thinks it is good to hang the clothes outside and not use a dryer because "clothes need sun and it is good for the clothes." I had no idea clothes needed sun. I suggest you all throw out your dryer immediately. Your clothes should be treated like flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment