Friday, November 23, 2012

Thanksgiving

Yesterday was my first day off in weeks! I had a lazy morning, went and ran some errands then got ready for Thanksgiving. By the time I left my apartment it was 5pm and raining! I walked to the grocery store to buy tequila and Juice. That's what I was asked to bring, not my choice! I found everything I needed, including some Pabst Blue Ribbon, I figured nothing says Thanksgiving like some cheap American beer. By the time I got to the street it was 5:30, rush hour.... and raining. These are not good odds for getting a taxi. I found my place on the street and waited patiently. That ran out quickly. After a half hour I finally got a cab. I told the driver where I needed to go and he gave me a flat rate of 80 RMB which is equivalent to $13. I know that doesnt sound like a lot, but the distance I was going should have only cost 30RMB. This guy was ripping me off. I told him ok, becasue who knew how long it would have taken to get another cab... Then I called my friend Margaret and made her speak to the driver. She speaks fluent Chinese, this is quite helpful in a friend (it has become one of the prerequisites for my friendship). She told me that he was being a dick and ripping me off because he knew how desperate people where, but she got him down to 50RMB. I then spent the next hour in a cab with a driver that hated me. I'm curious if he took the most congested route just to spite me. The traffic here is awful. There are just waaayyyy too many people here. Josh's house is probably six miles from my house and it took an hour to get there. Is this what it feels like to live in LA? I finally made it to the Thanksgiving celebration at 7:00pm. It was really nice. A large group of foreigners and lots of food! It was the first "American" meal I'v had in a month. The only thing missing; a Costco pumpkin pie. That's all I want!! I had a good time, nothing like Thanksgiving at home, but not bad for Thanksgiving in China. The following morning I was able to Skype with my whole family while they celebrated Thanksgiving.... That was my favorite part of the Thanksgiving.

This little guy even popped in to say hello!

2 comments:

  1. love it! im sure you are meeting lots of x-pats

    ReplyDelete
  2. It wasn't the same without you but so happy we got to Skype. Costco will still be here next year with pumpkin pie.

    ReplyDelete