Saturday, December 8, 2012

My VPN was down


My VPN has been down for the last two days, so frustrating. Basically, China put up a firewall. Companies then figured out ways to get around the wall. Then China kicked it up a notch and made the wall bigger. I feel this is a continuing cycle. A little cat and mouse game between China and the Western world. The Chinese are very good at building walls.

About a week ago I visited a good friend in Shanghai. Her first name is Mecah and her last name is Cozzi. If you are ever in Shanghai, look her up. Getting from my city to Shanghai is a breeze. I got a cab to the train station (which is less than ten minutes from my house), bought a ticket and hopped on the high speed train. Trains run to and from Shanghai every twenty minutes, and it takes about 45 minutes to get there. I was ambushed by a pack of old, loud, and possibly angry (you can just never tell if they are yelling at each other in furry, or complimenting each others hair) Chinese women half way through the trip. I quickly changed cars and found another seat. Shanghai is an awesome city. I've only been here a month and I am blown away when I see foreigners. I can't imagine what it will be like when I move back to the states. I actually think I will have an extremely high tolerance for rudeness and pet peeves when I move back, but I'll discuss that later. In my city (Hangzhou) I see maybe one to three foreigners a day (outside of work that is). And it is very rare that I encounter a Chinese person that speaks English. Being in Shanghai didn't even feel like China! I mean, yeah, there were a lot of Chinese people, but I grew up in Irvine, so I barely even notice. It felt like being in New York or any other big western city. This made me miss home and wish that I lived in Shanghai. It was so good to see an old friend. It felt like a little bit of home. When I got back to Hangzhou that evening I was coming down with a terrible cold (the second one since i've been here) and very home sick. The home sickness passed, though I'm sure it will stop by again soon... probably on the 24th to ruin my Christmas. I later thought what a unique experience I am having here. Being in a big international city would not be the same experience I'm getting, and though the conveniences of Shanghai are alluring, I am happy I'm in Hangzhou. I'm definitely getting more of a traditional Chinese experience. Not to knock Mecah obviously... I just want you all to feel sorry for me for a minute.

Why will I be so tolerant when I return to the US you ask? I will tell you. Let this be the time I vent. Foreigners living in China do this quite often, but I would like to share it with you as well because I think you are so special, inside and out. Yes, YOU! Chinese people dont know what a line is. Whoever can shove their way to the register first wins. Someone stepped in front of in line while you were giving the person in front of you the courtesy of personal space... too bad. That little old granny standing next to you at the bus stop, yeah watch out for her while trying to board the bus. Those elbows are ruthless and she does not have a problem proving it. Someone on their e-bike almost hit you while they were riding on the pedestrian sidewalk rather than their designated bike lane? Get out of their way! Did that man just hawk a big luggey right where you are walking? Why wouldn't he. etc, etc...

Ok, and back to things that I love about China. Matching pajamas. Need I say more. Oh, matching pajamas in public. The Chinese have a very interesting sense of style, or lack of style in my opinion. But they probably feel the same way about me. Agree to disagree. Their motif is usually made up of faux fur, bows, sparkles, animal prints, skirts, tassels, and lace. At the same time. Back to the pajamas. I have yet to see a person walking the streets in casual workout clothes. When you leave the house, you are dressed. My California staple of Lululemon workout pants and a t-shirt would not cut it here. I feel underdressed if I wear a zip up hoodie. There is of course one exception to not putting on your frill; matching fleece pajamas. You will see seniors, adults, and teens sporting their jammies in the street any time of the day like it ain't no thang. I think it is amazing, and cannot wait to buy a pair. I think it will be  purple to match my princess headboard.


No comments:

Post a Comment