Thursday, November 22, 2012

firsts in China

I cant' believe I've been here a month. It's safe to say I am getting settled in. Of course every day I experience "firsts". Last week I got my first cold in China. Nothing serious, I didn't need to go to the hospital, but I did need a fireplace and a mothers comfort. I can't believe my mom didn't fly me home so she could nurse me back to health. Luckily, the cold is fading and I am feeling better... I experienced the first object being thrown at me by a student. That was fun. I had two 5 year olds and no Chinese teacher as an assistant in my class the other day. These boys were the naughtiest I've had. There was no way to control them. One of them was trying to spit on me and the other continued to throw his books. Finally in an act of defiance he threw the book in my face! I almost beat the child. And today I will celebrate my first Thanksgiving away from my family :(

My coworker is hosting a Thanksgiving dinner with a large group of foreigners. It should be fun, but I will definitely miss seeing friends and family back home. I am getting more and more adjusted here each day. I'm also feeling better about my ability as a teacher. Minus the devil child that threw a book in my eye, I have some really great students. Some of the young ones that start at the school have never been taught or maybe even seen a foreigner before so they look at you like an alien at first, but I've worn a few of them down. Now I get hugs and kisses from some of them (which always makes a person feel better). 

In the tradition of Thanksgiving: I am so thankful to have friends and family that love and support me. Being so far only makes me miss and value the people in my life more... Happy Thanksgiving everyone. xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment