Monday, October 15, 2012

My first days...

My AirChina flight left LAX at 1:20pm on Friday the 12th, and I arrived In Hangzhou Saturday the 13th 6am my time 9pm China time. I didn't sleep much on the plane. There were a lot of movies that I missed this year, and I had the time to catch up on them (so much for all that ready/learning Mandarin). Dayna, the assistant to foreign teachers at the school I will be working at picked me up from the airport and took me to the hotel I will be staying in for a couple of days, or until they find me an apartment. Dayna was supposed to meet me at my hotel on Sunday and show me around. Unfortunately Dayna got sick or SARS. Too soon for SARS? So I decided I would have to go explore the city on my own!

It lasted about 10 minutes before I was back in my hotel room crying. I realized there was no way I would be able to find my way back to the hotel, and I wouldn't be able to ask anybody for help because Dayna is the only person here that speaks English (good thing I'm here, huh?). I finally decided to turn on my phone, and what do you know, the maps application knew exactly where I was! Which also means it knew to charge me for roaming (sorry Mom and Dad).

I made my way down to West Lake. A beautiful and historic landmark of Hangzhou. I made it back to my hotel just as it was getting dark and needed to get something to eat. The language barrier is quite difficult, I haven't had a meal in two days. You know those universal menus, where they just show a picture of each item? They really need those here! I as asleep by 9pm and wide awake at 4am?

I spent Monday just walking around the city... don't worry, this time I used an old school map. No roaming charges for those. Dayna stopped by my hotel with a stack of reading material for the school. She is taking me somewhere tonight... where? I have no clue. I'll let you know when I find out. Tomorrow I start my training at the school!!

No comments:

Post a Comment