Sunday, January 5, 2014

A New Adventure


The past year in China taught me so much not just about myself, but about the world. And while I really wasn't interested in staying in China, I also wasn't done learning about other parts of the world. So here I am about to start another adventure. I will be back backing for a few months in Southeast Asia. I have no set route and no set return date. Yes, I am scared.



I have to keep reminding myself that this is a vacation/adventure of a lifetime. I've been a bit apprehensive about the uncertainty ahead. I don't know where I will be going, or where I'll be staying. I don't really know why that's so scary to me? I guess it's just human nature to want stability, and that is something I'll be without. But like I said, this is a vacation and I need to think of it that way. If this turns out to be too much for me or not something I'm cut out to do, oh well. I'll book a flight back home. I also think that once I get out there all these fears will subside. Someone pointed out to me that if I could make it in China for a year then I can make it anywhere. I will somewhat agree with that.

So, while I'm trying to control these nerves I am beyond excited for what is to come. My sister asked me the other night what I hope to get out of this experience. Experience. There is no agenda here. I simply find traveling and other parts of the world to be one of the most valuable experiences.


It is however a bit of an unsettling life decision. I'll be turning twenty-eight this year, and while I know that isn't "old" I thought I'd be in a different place in my life. My expectations of adulthood where severely skewed by 90210 and romantic comedies. I always thought that you met your significant other in college, got your dream job right out of college, and by thirty had a house with 2.5 kids? So if that's the goal for thirty, backpacking in Southeast Asia may not be the best route to lock down a husband. But to be honest, I'm pretty stoked to be doing what I'm doing. While my childhood expectations may have been shattered, I feel like I am in the right place.


 I do constantly think about the future, marriage, kids, and that whole minivan. But common, yesterday I rode and elephant and played with/spooned a tiger. To be honest, I'll take that over breastfeeding. I know there's no rush. I need to just keep reminding myself to take it one day at a time and trust that everything happens for a reason and that it'll all workout. "What screws us up the most in like is the picture in our head of how it is supposed to be" know what I'm saying...

Riding Babar.

Oh yeah, the elephants and tigers you ask. Carinne, Elizabeth and I flew from LA last Friday and met Nick in Bangkok Thailand. Lucky for us he has been to Thailand many times and is making this trip very easy for us. I'm trying to get him to plan or come with me for the next six months. Bangkok was a nice buffer into Thailand. It's a big city, which isn't that exciting to me. I really enjoy the smaller cities that have more character. It was fun to see however and ring in the new year at a ping pong show in Bangkok (don't judge me). From Bangkok we flew up north to Chiang Mai. We stayed at an amazing boutique hotel tucked away in a quiet area. We settled in then went and explored the charming downtown are. The next day we accomplished all of our Chiang Mai goals: ride an elephant and cuddle with a tiger.

Sometimes all you need is a good cuddle.

It was such a special day. To be so close to such beautiful animals in such a beautiful country was magical. Thai people are so kind and happy, its amazing. Just smiling and being friendly... that's what they do. We are flying into Krabi where we will now begin our island adventures! The rest of our time together we will be on a few different islands throughout the south. I think the experience here will just continue to get better and better as we go!

Kiss of death.



No comments:

Post a Comment