Thursday, January 23, 2014

Throwin Dong

There's something really cool about Vietnam. It is so beautiful, with such history and tradition, and the people are so kind and friendly. But what's really fun is that everyone is instantly a millionaire here. The currency in Vietnam is the Dong (stop giggling, what are you 12?) and the conversion rate is 21,000:1. I took out two million Dong from the ATM the other day.... I felt very wealthy, but in more ways than one.




After saying goodbye to Elizabeth and Nick in Bangkok, Carinne and I flew to Hanoi Vietnam. We stayed in the Old Quarter of Hanoi. It was beyond charming and so beautifully. 

Unfortunately, it was much colder than we had expected. Ummm, isn't't all of Southeast Asia supposed to be warm? It was obvious we weren't the only tourist ill prepared. Every foreigner was strutting their new "Cambodia pants" and a knock off North Face jacket they bought in the Old Quarter. We spent the day wandering the city and visiting a few historical sights. Most interesting; the Hanoi Hilton POW prison.

The next morning we were picked up at our hotel by Kevin, our tour guide for our Halong Bay cruise. We spent two days and one night in Halong Bay with an eclectic group of fifteen. It was a great experiences and a lot of fun. We were returned to our hotel the following evening. A few hours later Carinne left for the airport to head back home.

I spent the next day in Hanoi by myself then went to the train station in the evening for an overnight train south to central Vietnam. I walked through the doors of the train station and pulled out the receipt I had been given when I booked the train.  I was told that I would have to pick up my ticket at the station. Just as I pulled it out the reciept this Vietnamese woman approached me and handed  me a ticket. I was really confused because she obviously didn't work at the station  (I assumed she was just workin/scammin the station, knowhatimsayin). I walked away from her which really upset her, but then was turned away by the chick at the ticket counter when I showed her my receipt. I tried to just go through the ticket check using my receipt but was literally pushed away by another woman. Lo and behold that first chick appeared behind out of nowhere, aggressively handed me the ticket and took my receipt out of my hand and dissapeared. Befuddled, I handed the ticket to the woman who had earlier brushed me aside, she punched the ticket and let me through.

So the mystery remains; who the fuck was that chick holding my ticket and how did she know who I was? Things just work out here.... Found my cart and cabin. My cart (or is it car?) is full of a French tour group. There are a few people not apart of the tour, but they make up the majority. My cabin mates were an older French couple (super sweet) and an older German man. Fine by me. I fit in well with the older crowd. I had two beers and a Dramamine and slept like a baby! I booked the 16 hour overnight train as a test to myself.



I can't say I passed with flying colors however. I made a mistake (it's only the 7th one I've ever made) however by getting off at the first major city thinking I had to switch trains. Wrong. But like I said earlier; things work out here. I was guided by a really kind Vietnamese man who helped me book a bus, held my backpack, and took me to the city center so I could wander around for the few hours before my bus left. When I returned he gave me coffee and tea while I played with his daughter.
I arrived in Hoi An in the early evening. Hoi An is a quiet and charming beach town. There is so much French architecture in Vietnam. That in contrast to the stretches of rice fields, animals grazing, bicycles, and traditional people make this place so exotic. The homestay I'm at is also adding to this amazing experience. It's family run and and they treat you like family. Last night another couple staying there (a Czech couple) and I cooked and ate dinner with the family. Such a great experiences and so special. Vietnamese people are so kind, helpful and friendly. I really have been blown away by them. My favorite was when an older man asked me where I was from. When I responded "the US" he replied "It's OK, it's in the past. We're good now."

Tonight I will take an overnight bus to Ho Chi Minh! I'll have a day to myself to get a lay of the land. The following evening my friend Liz (One of my best friends in Hangzhou) will be meeting me! A few days later we will meet up with Nora and Arthur (also dear friends from Hangzhou) and the four of us will travel through Cambodia and Laos!!

1 comment:

  1. Did you tell your Czech dinner mates that you are a quarter Czech?

    ReplyDelete