Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Sellin the white.

My business card.
No, no, I’m not selling drugs! Over the last year I have been aware of the wide range of “foreigner” jobs that are available in China. Many foreigners living in China have something that Asians idolize: white skin. As a foreigner there are a wide range of gigs to make a few bucks. There are many companies’s that just want a “white face” to represent the brand. As if that gives the company a better image? I don’t know, I don’t understand why companies wouldn’t want someone that actually represents the culture?  A friend of mine asked me to attend an event for the equivalent of $80 on my day off. I had the time and sticking to my “just say yes” to any unique experience policy,  I accepted. I didn’t even ask questions, I just said yes.

The morning of the “event” we were to meet the bus at 8am wearing business professional clothing (pfff, is flannel professional?). There were about 30 of us, a mix of mostly South and North Americans. The bus didn’t leave until almost 9:30, and it takes approximately 2 hours to get to the city of Yiwu (where the event was).  We got to the convention center around noon. The “job” was supposed to be from 10:00-12:00, so at this point we’re all a little annoyed that we wouldn’t be back till much later than expected. We spent an hour walking and waiting. What does that mean Carrie? Exactly how it sounds. These types of things never go according to plan. We literally walked around the entire convention center to meet with some women to receive our fake business cards. Yes. We were all given a stack of fake business cards with our name on them. I can now add Vice President of Multi-Tech LLC to my resume.
Shortly before I threw up.
At least I got to hang with these chicks.

By 12:30 we were ready to begin, yet we were already giving the organizers a hard time that we were supposed to be done by now. They told us we could meet outside at 1:30 and head back to Hangzhou. So our “job” was to walk around a commodities convention. It was so funny. I’m assuming the sponsors of the convention want foreigners attending to help with appearances and popularity? Any and every product you need could be found at the convention. They had it all. Which actually made it kind of fun, it was the equivalent of paying us to window shop.

Unfortunately I think I came down with some kind of virus that morning. I threw up when I woke up and thought maybe it was just something I had eaten the night before and decided to go anyway. I was so nauseous the whole bus ride there, then got sick again right before walking into the convention center. So after visiting two or three stalls I had to go sit down near the restroom while everyone walked around pretending to be interested buyers. I feel kind of bad. I got paid $80 to sit and read 1984.

The driver was taking too long.
At 1:30 we headed back to the bus and waited for everyone to return so we could head home. Again… things never go according to plan. We waited a couple of hours before we could go. Apparently there was some problem getting the money from whoever it was that was paying us? It was ridiculous. We didn’t get back to Hangzhou until about 7:00. It was a long day and one of the most bizarre things I’ve ever done. It’s just so sleezy how common lying is here. Even at my school I’m often asked to speak with parents and students and lie to them about my experience or how long I have been and will be with the company. I guess that’s why Chinese businessmen have such a bad reputation.

Speaking of bad reputations in China; this article was recently published in the Washington Post titled “China’s bystander problem: Another death after crowd ignores woman in peril.” I was not aware of the bystander problem in China before moving here, but after being here for a year I can name countless accounts in which I have seen it. And not all cases are as serious as this latest story, but it is true nonetheless. And I have to admit it is one of my biggest pet peeves about this country. The author discusses possible reasons for this issue, and while I can understand and partially sympathize, it’s still unacceptable.


I rarely see Chinese take initiative or think outside the box. They live in a country where everything is censored, they are brainwashed and told exactly what to do in regards to everything. There is no creativity or common sense. People do what they are told and never ask any questions.
So maybe they have never been told what to do if they see someone hurt or in need? Whatever the reason is, it’s difficult to watch. I hate to see the gawking faces. At home you see care and concern in a neighbors face. Not here.



On a lighter note: This past weekend was my last working full time! Saying goodbye to my students was a lot harder than I thought it would be. For the next month that I am here I have offered to work about three nights a week for about three hours. I'm so happy to finally have weekends free and some more free time. I’ve got a fun month ahead of me planned.

My favorites. 


No comments:

Post a Comment